From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

> 5)  Bertila (d. ca. 705).  B. (also Bertilla, Bertilia; in French, Bertille)
was the first abbess of Chelles...

> The abbey at Chelles (Seine-et-Marne) is no more.

back in the mid-80s Kathleen Nolan gave a paper at k'zoo on some historicated
capitals which she had discovered in a private context in Chelles.

the title was something like

"Romanesque Sculpture in the. Ile de France: The Sculptural Fragments of Notre
Dame at Chelles"

early 12th c. (c. 1130s?) stuff of quite high quality, significant because
very little "pre-gothic" figurative sculpture has survived from the
Ile-de-France.

as far as i know (and maybe i'm wrong), they have yet to be properly
published.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]