From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">V. Kerry Inman
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] RE medieval exegeses of Genesis 1, 1 implying bara' = to separate

Thank you, Mata, but the last time we discussed Hebrew, I think you and I were the only ones on the list following the discussion.

Ellen van Wolde, who holds her inaugural speech at the Raboud university in Nijmegen on Friday, says the Hebrew word bara should not be translated as 'created' but as 'separated'.

            This is just unbelievably poor scholarship. Whatever the word bara meant in the past, she bases her study mostly on etymology, it is very unlikely that it means separate here. The word for separate badal appears only a few lines below, “God separated the light from the darkness.” If bara were a synonym for separate, than we would have a parallel grammatical structure. But we don’t. God separates the light “from” beyn the darkness. In verse one there is no “from” beyn. To use anyword for separate without using beyn violates the standard practices (rules if you like) for all Semitic languages not just Hebrew.

Genesis 1 simply does not say that God separated the heavens and the earth.

V. Kerry Inman, M.A., M.Div., Th.M.
Ph. D. Candidate, Arabic and Hebrew
University of Pennsylvania
Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations