Dear all,

Thank you so much for your responses to my mailing last week.

I received lots of very useful information and now feel confident to
forge ahead with our policy and strategy.

A quick summary of responses includes:

*  A very useful business case. [permission would be required from the
respondent to make this available to others]

*  A complete set of documents on preparing guidance and policy.
[permission would be required from the respondent to make this available
to others]

*  A suggestion to read Socitm's 2008 report entitled Web 2.0 and social
networking: what they are and why they matter - a briefing for public
sector managers. SOCITM, August 08: ISBN 1904414877 [This should be
required reading for anybody working for a local authority with any
responsibility for community engagement, or new technologies. It's
written for ICT Managers in local authorities and tries to persuade them
of the importance of embracing Web 2.0 technology - original
respondent's comments].

*  An invitation to join a fledging wiki.  [The wiki is attempting to
record Web 2.0 activity in UK public libraries and provide a forum for
sharing ideas and (hopefully) business cases - original respondent's
comments]. The URL is http:[log in to unmask]
<http:[log in to unmask]>  .

*  How to write a corporate strategy
http://neilojwilliams.net/missioncreep/2009/how-to-write-a-corporate-twi
tter-strategy-and-heres-one-i-made-earlier/
<http://neilojwilliams.net/missioncreep/2009/how-to-write-a-corporate-tw
itter-strategy-and-heres-one-i-made-earlier/>

*  Social media strategies
http://ahtgroup.com/services/social-media-strategies
<http://ahtgroup.com/services/social-media-strategies>

*  Social networking in the public sector: developing a business case.
http://aird.me/blog/?p=40 <http://aird.me/blog/?p=40>

*  Creating a social media plan for a museum
http://www.museummarketing.co.uk/?p=151
<http://www.museummarketing.co.uk/?p=151>   This is an article
summarising some key issues in social networking practice for museums.

*  government document on the use of Twitter
<http://blogs.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/digitalengagement/file.axd?file=2009%
2f7%2f20090724twitter.pdf>   [I found this really useful - KS].  [You
can read more from its author here
<http://blogs.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/digitalengagement/post/2009/07/21/Tem
plate-Twitter-strategy-for-Government-Departments.aspx> . Personally, I
felt it gave a good set of guidance principles, some of which your
organisation might choose to follow - original respondent's comments].

*  Smithsonian Institution's Social and New Media Strategy
<http://smithsonian20.typepad.com/blog/2009/07/smithsonian-web-and-new-m
edia-strategy-v-10.html>  [as a prompt to help me draft up some
suggestions to offer for my own museum service's social media strategy,
though the Smithsonian talks in more general terms than the detailed use
of sites such as Facebook and Twitter - original respondent's comments].

*  A suggestion to use Hootsuite <http://hootsuite.com/>  - a third
party application for managing Twitter and other web 2.0 sites. [I've
started using this myself as a result, and can see the benefits that
someone in an organisation can control direct access to all the Twitter
streams and grant privileges to others who can then access specific
accounts within HootSuite. You can't have a rogue member of staff
deleting an account or following the wrong sort of accounts - which
seems sensible - original respondent's comments]

*  Specifically for museums - [The Twitter hashtag #museumfactmonday
which has come into some use recently, is good for scheduling
promotional tweets about museums. There is also a social media and
museums Facebook page - original respondent's comments].

I hope this is helpful to others who are preparing documentation for a
web 2.0 presence.

Kind regards,

Kathy Shiel
Corporate Records Manager
Records Management Service
Northumberland County Council
Woodhorn, QEII Country Park, Ashington
Northumberland, NE63 9YF
E-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
or E-mail [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Tel : 01670 528026
website - NCC Modern Records Management Service:
http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/recordsmanagement
website - Northumberland County Council:
http://www.northumberland.gov.uk <http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/>
website -Woodhorn :http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com
<http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/>

Our mission - to provide Northumberland with a first class document
storage, retrieval and records management service.

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation". (This quotation is attributed to Walter
Cronkite)