Dear All

Thank you for your responses and where the request was passed on thanks to everyone, I've summarised the responses below:

In reply to you query in Lis-Medical. Our Board (we have recently in Wales changed from Trusts to Boards) is going to have an e-induction starting next February. So doctors can look at it even before they start their posts and it will mean that they don't have to attend for the day and perhaps will take in more of the information presented.

We mainly do an online corporate induction.  Details are being sent to the new doctors two weeks before the induction giving them enough time to do it before they start and we monitor their attempt a week after the induction. On top of this, we have a short session called sign-on induction in which Director and Assistant Director of Medical Education give a brief talk and the new doctors have the opportunity to sign on with HR and Occupational Health.  Within a short period after they start, they also have a local site induction.

We will be continuing with the format of themed sessions and it will not be possible to move round sessions - As always, the programme is lengthy and it is essential that we keep to time.   We are retaining the format of a longer BLS session in the afternoon as well as IT training session. It is proposed that the same information (for induction packs and PowerPoint presentation) that was used in the August induction:

Please note that this induction will again be smaller in number with junior doctors from a mixture of specialties and grades.

At our Trust we currently have a 'marketplace' induction day for junior doctors. Various people/depts are set up in rooms throughout the Education centre and the juniors circulate, getting each section signed off on their sheet. The Library is included in this induction.

Our Induction here is covered by doing mandatory things i.e.: contracts, fire training, infection control, child protection - up until lunch time and then we have all their IT training in the afternoon for Surgery and then the Medics have there Resus training before they hit the wards the next day, then the following day they swap medics have IT training in the morning and surgery have Resus training.

Once this is all covered they go to their firms and have a local induction and then commence with work.  I know that in the surgery department they try to reduced activity if they know they are going to be short of doctors or have Trust doctors to cover (these are doctors not in training), but things will change soon due to the merger of the Trusts and we are currently waiting for information as to how this will happen.

For the past two years we have given the Foundation doctors a week long induction (last week in July), a social function over their first weekend (in order for them to gel as a group and get their bearing of the Island), and then two days shadowing and local induction on the wards prior to commencing on the first Wednesday in August.  The Trust pays them the additional time.  Accommodation is a little tricky as obviously the out going foundation doctors are still here.

We are a very small mental health Trust (about 3,000 staff)  At present we hold just one Induction Day a year for JDs, on the first Wednesday of August which is the usual day, and have them here in the Postgraduate Centre just for one day. At this day they get part of the mandatory training and are given personal talks by the relevant people

The nature of our Trust means we do not have one centre or large acute hospital - we have about 60 sites in wards, clinics, homes, surgeries etc all over the county, so after Induction Day the new docs go out to their new bases and further mandatory training should be organised for them within the next 2 weeks by their Consultants. This includes Moving & Handling, Fire Training, Life Support etc. Until about 2 years ago the whole thing was managed from here and they had to come back every Monday for 2 weeks to have the additional training. Once the new docs are out in the new base they get local inductions. To answer one of your questions yes the Consultants, or others, cover the work on Induction day.

Junior doctor induction here has grown over the last few years - this year it included:

New F1s start in the last week in July, with a week-long programme of induction sessions and shadowing on the wards.

No clinics or elective surgery are scheduled for the changeover day in August (and for a couple of days after in some areas, I think). This got official sign-off from the Chief Exec the year before last: he agreed that a thorough induction was sufficiently important to safe & effective care etc. that it was worth the loss of a day in meeting waiting lists. Warning notices started going round a couple of months before induction to people booking appointments.

Consultants (with staff grades, ST Doctors on non-August changeovers etc) and new F1s cover wards and emergency work on the changeover day.

All new doctors from F2 to SpR have a programme of talks in the morning and early afternoon of the changeover day. Speakers have been cut back to the minimum needed for them to start work safely - they cover things like how to make a pathology request, which antibiotics not to prescribe, etc. In the late afternoon, the departments have their own induction talks, usually run by the lead doctor.

During this day, non-clinical departments - including IT, Security and the Library - have stalls round the edge of the hall to which all the new doctors are meant to come in their breaks to sign up. (We got about 70% of them this year, which wasn't too bad - we catch the others later.)

The first couple of days after starting, doctors are timetabled to attend one of three ALERT training days - they have to pass the exam at the end of this day to be allowed to practise in the hospital. Departments arrange their own schedules to allow all their doctors to attend.

For the first time this year, three further induction days were timetabled - one a week in August, each on a different day of the week. Each new doctor (including F1s) attended one day, where they got longer presentations &/or statutory training on Child Protection, the handover database, Fire, Manual Handling and us in the Library, and also spent two hours doing 10 individual "scenarios" run rather like OSCE exams, including filling in a risk assessment form, taking bloods etc. This was a marvel of military-style planning on the education team's part (everyone got coloured and numbered badges and a corresponding timetable) but although attendance was mandatory and departments are supposed to arrange cover, we did find that one or two people were getting called back to the wards on each day and a few just didn't show up. So not a 100% success rate, but still much better than we've achieved before.

Here it was decided to make the induction into a play.  We employ two actors, one to be the new junior and the other acts out nurse, patient, and consultant.  As the Junior Doctor acts out his day members of Staff from each of the Trusts Departments - Security, Pharmacy, Library etc - are brought in to play their part.

This has had good "reviews" and being a light comedy keeps them awake!  It lasts for about 1 ½ hours and then they go off and do their IT Training!

Due to the vast volume of foundation year doctors to be inducted and the serious logistical problems faced - we would have had to run two sessions due to the numbers, it was decided to design an online induction process (required a username/password which was supplied in the introductory letter) whereby most of the corporate and information elements would be completed prior to their first day. Therefore the first day would be taken up with assessing certain competencies (infection prevention (hand washing), blood cultures and anti-microbial prescribing. They would also receive their bleeps and system passwords on the first day. It appeared to go very well and relatively painlessly so we saved quite a bit of time.

Our Trust has J Docs induction over about a day and a half. They have all the Trust mandatory stuff on the first day until about 14:30 or 15:00. They then go to their departments for local induction. The following day, any problems or additional things are done, e.g. library visit, discussion with pharmacist if they failed the prescribing test etc.  As far as I know they start work in the department on the afternoon of the second day.

Cover is provided by consultants, registrars, Trust grades, etc.

The main induction here is via an e-learning package commissioned by the lead employer trust. It's been a total disaster; the junior doctors loathe it and refused to look at it, despite disciplinary sanctions. Doctors also attend the trust induction, which covers mandatory and statutory training, the MHA and the use of the clinical system.

Jacqui

Jacqui Smales

Knowledge Services Manager

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

T: 01482 605302

E: [log in to unmask]

Web Opac: http://hullandeastriding.nhslibraries.com

Did you know that your local health library offers:

Help and advice from skilled staff

Journal and book collections - electronic and traditional

Study space and internet access

Training courses and current awareness service

Search services and document delivery

A new source of information:  http://www.evidence.nhs.uk

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
We Care - Visit us at: http://www.hey.nhs.uk

The content of this email and any attachment is private and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or forwarding of this email and/or its attachments is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by email and delete this message and any attachments immediately. Nothing in this email shall bind the Trust in any contract or obligation, unless we have specifically agreed to be bound.

Virus Warning:

Although this email and any attachment are believed to be free from viruses, which might affect any system into which they are received or opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free.  Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising in any way from their receipt, opening or use.