From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Taylor, Sarah
Sent: 10 November 2009 09:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LIS-E-RESOURCES] Free e-content - what do you do?

Hi Sarah,

Sounds like a really interesting project on a topic I'd not given a
great deal of thought to.

We do have access to a number of free resources, namely the contents of
DOAJ and some free JISC Collections resources. DOAJ journals are
available through our link resolver, and we have a link to it on our A
to Z list of resources. We do the same with free JISC Collections
resources and Intute. We don't have any electronic resources listed on
our OPAC at all, and we just don't have the time or resources to start
putting DOAJ content on the OPAC. Plus the content is forever changing!

We also provide access to a number of other free websites. These are
presented in an online reference library, again on the library website.

Of course, for reports/papers produced by the university, we use our
institutional repository! Again, these items don't go on the OPAC.

As far as I know we don't have a strategy as such as far as I'm aware,
but I'm always keen to make sure that we do provide access to quality
free resources - they provide a useful augmentation to our collection
and can address gaps in our collection that we otherwise may not be able
to fill.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Sarah