italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies Dear Jim,
from your directions, it si quite difficult to be helpful to you. Indeed,  Rome and the Romans have inspired many directors, and numerous are the film in which voice is given to the inhabitants of the Eternal City. All three suggestions made by our colleagues are possible, but I tend to believe that perhaps Lucia Giardino's suggestion could be the one, because Scola's work is a fiction film--bello, davvero, and Scorsese's you would know since it has been around for quite a long time now and it si well know to audience and critics alike.
Buona fortuna!
mg