Hello all,

Tony Charman from the Institute of Education, University College London will be presenting on 'Establishing the cognitive phenotype of ASD' on Wednesday (18th November) at 4pm at the University of Birmingham in Hills 120.  This seminar forms part of the autumn seminar series in neurodevelopmental disorders and intellectual disabilities.

All are welcome, we look forward to seeing you there.

Abstract:

Although much progress has been made in determining at a cognitive level the profile of strengths and weaknesses that characterise individuals with autism spectrum disorders there are a number of outstanding and unanswered questions. These include how universal strengths and deficits are; whether cognitive subgroups exist and how cognition is associated with core autistic behaviours as well as associated psychopathology. Several methodological factors have contributed to these limitations in our knowledge, including small sample sizes, the that fact that most studies focus on one domain of cognition only and that most studies of cognition do not have comprehensive phenotypic information on their sample. To attempt to overcome some of these limitations we assessed a wide range of cognitive domains in a large sample (N=100) of 15 and 16 year old adolescents with ASD who had been comprehensively characterised as part of the SNAP prevalence sample. We will report some initial findings from this study, including data on auditory perception, emotional recognition and attainment profiles.

--
Kate Woodcock
Centre for Neurodevelopmental Disorders