-----Original Message-----
From: JISCmail German Studies List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Georgina Paul
Sent: 05 November 2009 18:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: REF Consultation once more

Dear all,

I advise (as we were advised by our Sub-Faculty chair at our last
meeting) submitting pithily worded objections on the HEFCE's website's
REF comments form about the thoroughly misguided attempt to apply
criteria to the assessment of humanities research (and indeed to any
kind of university research that is not directly linked into economic
practice) which are derived from the sphere of commerce. The relevant
webpage is here:

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/Research/ref/

Click on 'Consultation' on that page and you will get through to the
statements about the criteria for the REF and eventually, towards the
end of the documents, to a form on which one can return comments -
either as an individual or as a professional body.

It would surely be a good idea to have a coordinated AGS response, if
one is not already in the offing. But it is surely also not without its
purpose for individuals to respond with comments.

I'm afraid the document displays with all too great a clarity the lack
of impact of any kind of humanities discipline on the people who write
the REF criteria, since the prose is dismayingly poor and often
ungrammatical, and thus makes for unpleasant reading. Plough through the

statements on Impact, though, and you will see that the whole thing is
not at all thought through (they are still working out how to measure
it). There should be no concession on our part to trying to think of
ways of adapting our research to these criteria. We must simply
ruthlessly point out the inadequacies of the scheme to measure something

which in the case of our research cannot be measured.

Regards to all,
Georgina

Weninger, Robert wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I posted the following on the REF blog for German Studies, but a
> colleague suggested that I circulate this more widely since not all
will
> be accessing that web blog... I wrote:
>

> It strikes me that this reformulation of the former RAE into a 25%
> impact-driven REF will, for the majority of us in modern languages,
> sound the death knell of our department's identities as they are
today.

> The impact factor is clearly meant not to include our publications, or

> how far they are disseminated around the globe, or even how much
> discussion they elicit (that all falls under research), nor any
teaching
> or outreach-related activities. It is primarily an economics driven
> indicator of the documentable/measurable surplus value to society that

> we produce (again: not intellectually but socially and/or
economically:

> that is quantifiable beyond our publications and their circulation
> numbers). As was noted above [[in other comments on the blog, that is;

> R.W.]] this was not a focus in the past, and indeed might have been
> penalised as popularising our research (and thus deflating its
research
> quality). Thus, my response would be twofold:
>
> first, as was also said above, we cannot agree to this, certainly not
> for 2012/13 since we do not have any lead-in time to change our habits

> and create the kind of impact they envisage here: we are already fifty

> percent into the REF period. Second, to point out that if HEFCE
insists
> on this at this level (25%), they will effectively be reducing modern
> language funding by the same percentage AND we will fall FAR below
other
> fields' scores and hence also look bad in statistical comparisons
> (institutionally this will spell catastrophe, both on the funding
front
> as well as in terms of perception of our research standings/qualities:

> too many departments have already been forced to shut down: this will
> speed up the process and eliminate many more of our departments). Even

> the alternative to reduce this factor to 10% or more (15 or 20)
strikes

--
Dr Georgina Paul,
Fellow and Tutor in German, Tutor for Graduates,

Tel: +44 (0)1865 610311