Dear all!

Alternatively you can just open the symbols page in Word and set shortcuts for the small letter umlauts, e.g. CTRL+a for ä, CTRL+u for ü. This will remove the original shortcuts (like CTRL-u = underline), but it works so much faster when typing a German letter in Word. You still have to either use the ALT-method or the symbols page for capital Umlauts, but in general the small letter umlauts are much more common and it speeds up things a lot for me.

In the newer Word 2007 you proceed like this:

Symbols>more symbols>go on letter>shortcut key>add new shortcut, remove old one if necessary

Best wishes

Alexander

Alexander Burdumy
DAAD-Lektor