From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yvette Kuiper [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 November 2009 01:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Shear zone-parallel or orogen-parallel horizontal stretch

Hi All,

In the past few years I keep finding myself in shear zones
(transpression zones) and orogens that seem to show good evidence for
shear zone-parallel or orogen-parallel horizontal stretch. The evidence
is based on rotated lineations and fold hinge lines that are best
explained by such stretch. It makes me wonder how much shear zones or
orogens can stretch parallel to their strikes in nature. At some point,
there would be space problems and strain compatibility problems. My
questions to you:

What is the maximum shear zone-parallel horizontal stretch anyone recorded?
What was the length of that shear zone?
Was the stretch localized or homogeneous along the entire length of
shear zone?

What is the maximum orogen-parallel horizontal stretch anyone recorded?
What was the length of the orogen?

If you have any thoughts on any of these questions, I would be very
interested to hear.

Thanks, Yvette

--
Yvette D. Kuiper