Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to contribute to our
session at the EGU 2010 (2nd – 7nd May 2010) in Vienna.

Please keep in mind the deadline for abstract submission is the 18 January 2010
and for the submission of support applications is December 4, 2009

session TS8.4 / SM7.3

Episodic deformation related to the seismic cycle - the geological record

The episodic recurrence of large crustal seismic
events can lead to deformation at varying stress
and strain rate conditions in short time scales
along the seismic fault zone and in areas
adjacent to the base of the seismogenic layer.
During the coseismic period of seismic ruptures,
the stresses and strain-rates are increasing and
fluid pressures may drop resulting from an
enhanced permeability due to seismic fracturing
processes. During the interseismic period,
stresses and strain rates relax and the
structural permeability is reduced by healing and
sealing processes, causing the restoration of
fluid pressure. The systematically varying
deformation conditions through the seismic cycle
are reflected by characteristic (micro-)
structures in the affected rocks, e.g.,
pseudotachylytes, gouges, healing/sealing
structures and overprint of brittle
microstructures by crystal-plastic
microstructures. Reading and understanding the
geological record is critical, as it is
frequently the only access, especially in deeper
parts of the fault zone and in areas adjacent to
the base of the seismogenic layer.
We welcome innovative and stimulating
contributions addressing interseismic and
coseismic deformation in the oceanic and
continental lithosphere through the integration
of field, laboratory and experimental data.

EGU website:
<http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/2440>http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/2440

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Vienna.

Michel Bestmann
University Erlangen, Germany
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

Claudia Trepmann
University Bochum, Germany
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

Michel Bestmann                     Phone: +49 (0)9131-8529026
GeoZentrum Nordbayern                            (0)9131-627448
University Erlangen-Nuremberg    mobile +49 (0)176 24828586
Schlossgarten 5
D-91054 Erlangen
Germany

Email: [log in to unmask]