One could argue that adjectives play two roles in English. One is to distinguish nouns subject to the qualifying adjective from those not so qualified. Thus, "ultramafic basalts" are distinguished from other basalts that are not ultramafic. Under this interpretation, it would be absurd to write "igneous basalts", since there are no non-igneous basalts. However, it is quite common to find adjectives used merely as a way of expressing additional information about the noun. Thus, one could easily find someone writing "igneous basalts" to mean "basalts, which are igneous".

Personally, I don't like it, and I prefer to strike out any adjectives that are not essential. Don't get me started on "organic vegetables".

Roger Musson