-----Original Message-----
From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Essene
Sent: 26 November 2009 07:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Anderson Stress Meeting: September 2010 reminder

Rob,
    The term igneous intrusions is functionally a terrible term, a
distinction without a difference.  More than 99.9% (or more?) of the time it
means igneous rocks where the term is redundant.  If one talks about
sedimentary intrusions it is on a meter scale feature, commonly even less--I
have seen some down to cm scale.  When they formed and well afterward they
did not look like dikes, just fractures filled with loose sediment.  I
discount the poor term "sandstone dikes" as needing yet another confusing
term.
     On the other hand salt domes are metamorphic (recrystallized) but not
molten rock, well a little brine.  They were not in the sedimentary group
during formation.  Yes, we have diapirs of metamorphic rock, although a lot
of those gneiss domes probably have a little melt.  I would agree about
metamorphic diapirs but simply would not call them metamorphic intrusions to
avoid confusion on a transitional rock.  Gneiss domes are a nice description
for them.
     It must be exceedingly rare for igneous petrologists/geochemists
to be presenting data on "sand dikes".   Salt domes are much larger
but are as they form. Do you know of any igneous petrologist/ geochemist who
would report on them in your symposium?  So "sandstone dikes" are fractures
filled with loose clastic material and water, salt diapirs are all
metamorphic and may have brine, gneiss domes are often partial melts then at
least partly igneous, and the term "igneous intrusion" is clearly redundant
to the average passerby.  Is this really a useful terminology?
cheers,
eric