Hello Michel and all

We have had most success with a scanner designed for 35 mm slides.
One of our museum staff devised a thin-section holder that has the
same external dimensions as a 35 mm slide, into which the thin section
and two polaroid films can be fitted.  The whole thing drops in to a
Nikon slide scanner which has autofocus capability.  It does 4000 dpi
(dots per inch) and produces excellent results.

See examples at http://cms.eas.ualberta.ca/dif/?q=node/6

John Waldron

On 2009-Nov-05, at 10:56 AM, Michel Bestmann wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Who has experience with scanning of thin sections with polarisation
> foil? I used a HP Scanjet G4050 in the slide modus. However the
> results are not convincing. I have tested several positions of the
> thin section surface with respect to the glass of the scanner. The
> images are always slightly out of focus.
>
> Cheers
>             Michel

> Michel Bestmann                        Phone: +49 (0)9131-8529026
> GeoZentrum Nordbayern                               (0)9131-627448
> University Erlangen-Nuremberg    mobile +49 (0)176 24828586
> Schlossgarten 5
> D-91054 Erlangen
> Germany
>
> Email: [log in to unmask]
>
> web-page:
> http://www.elektron-performance.de.vu
>
> SAHARA GEO-EXPLORER
> http://www.sahara-geoexplorer.de

John Waldron Ph.D., Dept. Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, 1-26 Earth
Sciences Bldg, Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, AB Canada T6G 2E3
On sabbatical leave 2009-10: Apt. #305 1326 Lwr. Water St. Halifax NS
B3J3R3 Tel: 902 423 1281. email:  [log in to unmask]
University spam filters may reject some sources of mail.  If this
happens, try me at [log in to unmask]