Hi everyone,

Sorry if this one has already been done to death on this list! I am just on the cusp of starting a new role here at St Albans as Access officer (at least I think this is what they are going to call it, still waiting for final word!). One of the things I am interested in doing is looking at the ways in which we can extend the use of our handling collections to more community groups. We have quite a large handling collection which is used for schools sessions, and my colleague, our edcuation officer, has been taking the handling material out to more community groups, including retired people and ESOL groups. I am really keen to try and do more of this myself in my new role, especially since the handling material is all there already, it is just a case of taking it to different groups. I am also trying to incorporate this into my AMA CPD plan (argh!) and would like to start by reading something about the theory behind how people (or all ages) learn through object handling, and the potential benefits it offers.

I was just wondering if anyone out there on the list could recommend any reading materials on this area -  or perhaps you have done some research on this yourself which you wouldn't mind sharing? More generally, if anyone has any advice on running object handling outreach sessions with non-school groups I'd love to hear about it.

I would of course be happy to compile replies and send out to anyone who is interested.

Many thanks

Amy

Amy Cooke
Museum Trainee/Image librarian,
St Albans Museums,
Verulamium Museum,
St. Michael's,
St. Albans,
Herts
AL3 4SW

Tel: 01727 751831
http://www.stalbansmuseums.org.uk
http://www.stalbans.gov.uk

****Disclaimer****

The information in this message should be regarded as Private and is
intended for the addressee only unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this message in error it must be deleted and the sender
notified.
The views expressed in this message are personal and not necessarily
those of St Albans City and District Council unless explicitly stated.
Please be aware that emails sent to or received from St Albans City and
District Council may be intercepted and read by the council.
Interception will only occur to ensure compliance with council policies or
procedures or regulatory obligations, to prevent or deter crime, or for the
purposes of essential maintenance or support of the email system.