Hi Markus

In FSL4.1.2, the behaviour of the termination mask was such that a
tract stopped as soon as it _exited_ a termination mask (as opposed to
_entered_)

I am not sure if that can explain the results you are getting in
fdt_paths.
Also: are you using the option --loopcheck (if you don't use this, it
may explain finding samples in the other hemisphere that perhaps loop
back towards the waypoint mask).

The result in waytotal (the text file in the output directory) should
be the same whether you have set your waypoint mask as a termination
or not. It counts samples that reach the waypoint mask. If samples
reach the termination mask, they have also reached the waypoint mask,
so they will be counted as well.

Note that the number you get with the command "fslstats fdt_paths -M"
has a completely different meaning. This number _will_depend on
whether you have set your waypoint as termination. It will be smaller
in the case where you have a termination mask, since samples will not
be counted in voxels passed the termination mask..

Cheers,
Saad.

--
Saad Jbabdi