Hi again.
Sorry for the disturbance.
A binary mask was mandatory for the versions FSL 4.0.* and below.
With versions higher than that Probtrackx should work fine also with
non-binary masks.

However when importing SPM data into FSL you will have to FLIRT the
data, as the origins and the dimensions are not the same  ( -1 comming
form SPM due to the Matlab / C++ counting problem). This gives you
transformations that will change your values (due to reslicing) and it
is easier to control for that if the mask is binary.

best,
Markus