I never post on this list, but one quick thing. It is total nonsense that juxtaposition implies the dominance of one thing over against another; in fact, it is neither necessary, nor actually sufficient, that those things being counterposed are different to one another. To assume as much is at heart essentialist, locating the nature of juxtaposition in the elements being juxtaposed themselves, and misses the fact that juxtasposition is concerned not with discrete elements, but the action or mode of the element's relating. So for instance, we can imagine a film composed of a segmented screen showing exactly the same footage at the same time, in all segments. These elements are still juxtaposed in the respect that they relate to one another in a certain fashion.

Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:58:24 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: fortuitous juxtaposition
To: [log in to unmask]

 For screenagers, vampires seem to represent the genre of otherliness that one also finds in the lyrics of Ms Swift's "Love Story". Moreover, Ms Stewart lends a huge credibility to this search because of her eventful performance in 'Speak'. In short, the problematic becomes from Romeo/vampire to what is signified?

Perhaps this is far too much teenage angst for any one adult to handle, yet to speak of haplessness would suggest that no solutions exist in the the minds of the participants. This, I doubt.

BH