hi charlie

we are also acknowledging this momentous event. I co-ordinate the
*AccessAbility Project which proactively recruits and trains disabled
(all sorts including the dyslexia spectrums and mental health)
university learners who work as  positive role models for younger
disabled people.  although we are only a small project, we did want to
do something for this day.  after some discussions, we hit on the idea
of a prize quiz with the winner receiving £50 book tokens. it is not
too complicated and most of the answers can be found via the internet
although a few questions are specific to the *AccessAbility Project.
whilst a prize quiz is not very exciting, I am hoping that it is
accessible for the majority of people who would like to have a go - it
is all electronic and the answers are simply emailed back to me.

we are hoping that people who do not generally consider disability
issues and hopefully raise awareness that although our disabled young
people can access all types and levels of education, this is not the
case in other countries. the quiz may also enable a few more disabled
youngsters to view a university education as a viable career choice
and that the barriers within higher education are diminishing each
year - even though there is major drama with DSA payments etc. there
are also a few web links attached to the quiz where people can find
more information about this event. we are also aiming to do something
each year to acknowledge this day, and hopefully we can do something
different each year.

the quiz can be found on our website (address under electronic
signature) and is available until 3rd january. it is electronic and
people can do a bit at a time.  there is no age limit and everybody is
welcome to have a go - except the *AccessAbility Ambassadors as they
will know the vast majority of the answers.  please feel free to
circulate the quiz to colleagues and friends if you would like to do
so, and of course you are welcome to have a go yourself or as a group
effort with your coalition colleagues

I hope your day is a success and that lots of people become involved
in what you are doing - I am aware that some people view the UN in a
negative light but I do think in this case we should acknowledge and
celebrate an international day in the absence of a UK day.  I will
sign off now as I have started to ramble!

best wishes
melanie

Melanie Thorley
*AccessAbility Project Co-ordinator
Access and Widening Participation Unit - University of Greenwich
Aspire - SE London Aimhigher
Pembroke 317
University of Greenwich at Medway
Central Avenue
Chatham
Kent
ME4 4TB

07931 226599
www.gre.ac.uk/aap

Quoting Charlie Bowen <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hello,
>
> Is anyone, in any part of the world taking part/putting on any events to
> mark the International day of disabled people  on December 3rd.
>
> I run a youth project at Derbyshire Coalition for Disabled People (DCIL) and
> we're organising some events to mark this day.  It would be great to link up
> with any other events going on in any part of the world.
>
> Our young volunteers (aged 16 - 25) will be holding a coffee morning at
> DCIL, in Ripley, Derbyshire.  We'll be promoting the work of DCIL,
> launching our newsletter (Clued up, produced by the young people at DCIL)
> and our youth executive.  We're also holding a poster competition asking
> people to design a poster promoting  positive images of
> disability/disability equality.   Some of our volunteers would love to skype
> other disabled people or disability organisations who also will be marking
> this day.   It'll be a chance for all our members, volunteers and the local
> community to come together.  We hope to develop plans further over the next
> couple of weeks.
>
> Please get in touch if you're marking this day, or please pass this email on
> to your contacts.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Charlotte Bowen
>
> Youth Development Officer
> V Project
> www.dcil.org.uk
>
> ________________End of message________________
>
> This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre
> for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds
> (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies).
> Enquiries about list administration should be sent to
>
> Archives and tools are located at:
> www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
> You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee,
registered in England (reg. no. 986729).  Registered office:
Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS.