From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Howarth
Sent: 19 November 2009 11:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Data Protection and Information Security Policies

To some extent I agree with what Paul is saying and the NHS have "got
around" this issue by adopting "Information Governance" which incorporates
all the requirements of information compliance, security, confidentiality
and corporate assurance. More recently it's taking on more of a risk
assurance role.

www.igt.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk

If you want to construct a hierarchy then it's my belief that Information
Governance (and therefore DP and other stuff) should actually fall under
Records Management. The reason for this is that unless information (records)
is properly managed you do not know what you do not know (Rumsfeld?) and
therefore cannot be sure of complying with DP, FOI or confidentiality
requirements. It is my view that Records Managers have been too silent on
this issue and should be championing more their critical role in information
management and whilst there is no "right" way to structure information
management in an organization it is my firm belief that until RM is
implemented properly and oversees records and information in an
organization, that information management is not being done properly.

Simon Howarth.