From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">James Pavitt
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: We have met the deniers, and they are us

Very interesting - but don’t we have to ‘deny’ a certain amount in public in order to break the issues of CC and peak oil into bite-sized chunks?  A spoon-full of sugar and all that?  Surely if we throw all of the bitter truth into the argument we will just cause the deniers to become more entrenched and scare the undecideds.

One thing that fascinates me about  deniers at the moment is the way that their followers tend to call belief in AGW a religion.  Surely one of the definitions of religion is that it provides a framework for unscientific beliefs. This being the case, those who do not accept the scientific consensus should be made aware that they are the ones who are in a ‘religion’. Or perhaps because of the dangers associated with not believing scientific consensus in the case of AGW, ‘cult’ is a better word.

Our MP (John Maples) is a dyed-in-the-wool Climate Change denier.  I’ve recently traced a couple of his parliamentary questions.  Although he claimed in a question aimed at Milliband that NASA and the Hadley Centre’s most recent statistics point to global cooling, I can find no evidence for this in anything that they have published – but there is mention of it on this site: www.heartland.org .  The Heartland Inst. are the ultimate deniers – their agenda (low taxes and the free-market) is being fuelled by Lord Christopher Monckton.  They are intelligent and articulate.  One of the reasons that they scare me is that their fatuous and contrary arguments are finding their way into discussion forums all over the internet.  And also – so it seems – into our parliament.

James Pavitt