The Asimov short story is 'The Dead Past', I think, my copy of which is in the collection
'The Best of Isaac Asimov'.

Such sci-fi (like JG Ballard as well) might suggest to us that our interest might be more in
what changing vernacular (and governmental!) ideas of the recent past do - what their
effects are - rather than simply seeing such opinions as a kind of popular vindication of
the archaeological study of 'one second ago'.

DH

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:20:53 +1100, zoharesque <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This reminds me of one of Isaac Asimov's possibly less renowned short stories about a
historian who requests access to the Government's time machine - not a traveling one,
but one like a television that allows you to watch the past.  He wants to do some
research on Carthage and becomes increasingly frustrated as his application is blocked at
every turn.  The question at the end of the story is about when the past begins.  The
historian is forced to admit that the past begins one second ago, and hence the time
machine can effectively be used as a surveillance device of frightening power.

_____