On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:33:08 +0000, Krysta Ryzewski, List Moderator
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The SHA is one of the world's leading scholarly societies devoted to the
>archaeology and material culture of the modern world.

I had not read this more inclusive description of the SHA before. I wonder whether
anyone knows if this is a new statement of purpose, or just a turn of phrase in the email?
SHA used, at least until very recently, to describe itself as follows, without any mention
of 'material culture':

"the Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA) is the largest scholarly group concerned
with the archaeology of the modern world (A.D. 1400-present). The main focus of the
society is the era since the beginning of European exploration"

I ask partly because a colleague mentioned the other day that the SPMA has recently
rewritten its "focus statement" to include 'the present day' among its concerns.

Such changes in how this field in which we all find ourselves is understood or defined are
always of interest,

DH