________________________________

From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Stephen Moreby
Sent: 11 November 2009 11:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Unusual Question 1 - Tax and Remediation

Morning all

Something completely different . . . .

Has anyone ever had issues with the possible tax consequences of
remediation work ?

We've carried out remediation on a determined property that is both
residential, and an operating business premises. The work has been DEFRA
funded under hardship provisions, and the owner/resident concerned has
been advised by their tax accountant that the remediation work
constitutes 'betterment in kind' for their property, effectively making
them liable for income tax against the remediation.

If correct this is a pretty awkward situation, and may have implications
for many remediation projects on private property ?

I've spoken to DEFRA, and not unsurprisingly they said they couldn't
offer tax advice. I know I need to speak to Revenue and Benefits, but I
frankly dreading the hour it will take explaining things to get through
to the right person. Just wondered if anyone has encountered this before
?

 . . . . my second unusual question of the day will follow in ten
minutes.

	Steve Moreby
	Contaminated Land Officer

	Environmental Health Department
	Gloucester City Council T   01452 396 312
	Herbert Warehouse               F   01452 396 340
	The Docks
	Gloucester
	GL1 2EQ

	www.gloucester.gov.uk

                                                    DISCLAIMER
This message is intended for the recipient only and may contain
privileged information.
If you are not the addressee, or you have received it in error, you may
not copy, disclose, print,
or deliver this message to anyone. Should this be the case, please
the sender of your action by reply e-mail.
Gloucester City Council does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability
of information in this message,
and any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Gloucester City
Council.
Gloucester City Council does not accept any responsibility for any
disruption or loss to your data or
computer systems that may occur whilst using any program or document
attached to this message.
You are advised not to send confidential or sensitive information by
e-mail, as the security of the
site cannot be guaranteed.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail may be solely those of the author and are not necessarily those of Mouchel. Mouchel Limited, Registered in England at Export House, Cawsey Way, Woking, Surrey, UK, GU21 6QX  Registered No : 1686040