Dear Gerry,

    Thanks for your rapid response to my - too rapidly-penned - original
message. I'm probably overly suspicious about messages on "serious" bulletin
boards that have links into suppliers' web sites. I maintain a large safety
site as part of my responsibilities as departmental safety officer and I'm
constantly fending off people who want me to include ads on the site or
enter into some sort of agreement which would lead people from my site to
theirs. I imagine you hear from the same folks.

    My apologies if my email was a bit abrupt, which it was.  I'm still
unsure whether an iphone might be of value in my own teaching (I spend my
time telling students to turn their phones off rather than encouraging their
use) but I guess an experiment in my undergraduate lab that used a phone
instead of a spectrometer just might get the students talking chemistry;
we'll see.

    Hugh

Dr Hugh Cartwright
Department of Chemistry
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Laboratory
University of Oxford
South Parks Road
Oxford, England OX1 3QZ

http://cartwright.chem.ox.ac.uk/