Frank von Delft wrote:
> Hi Marc
>
> Not at all, one uses units that are convenient.  By your reasoning we
> should get rid of Å, atmospheres, AU, light years...  They exist not to
> be obnoxious, but because they're handy for a large number of people in
> their specific situations.

Hi Frank,

I think that you misunderstood me. Å and atmospheres are units which
really refer to physical quantities of different dimensions. So, of
course, there must be different units for them (by the way: atmosphere
is not an accepted unit in the SI system - not even a tolerated non SI
unit, so a conscientious editor of an IUCr journal would not let it go
through. On the other hand, the Å is a tolerated non SI unit).

But in the case of B and U, the situation is different. These two
quantities have the same dimension (square of a length). They are
related by the dimensionless factor 8*pi^2. Why would one want to
incorporate this factor into the unit ? What advantage would it have ?

The physics literature is full of quantities that are related by
multiples of pi. The frequency f of an oscillation (e.g. a sound wave)
can be expressed in s^-1 (or Hz). The same oscillation can also be
charcterized by its angular frequency \omega, which is related to the
former by a factor 2*pi. Yet, no one has ever come up to suggest that
this quantity should be given a new unit. Planck's constant h can be
expressed in J*s. The related (and often more useful) constant h-bar =
h/(2*pi) is also expressed in J*s. No one has ever suggested that this
should be given a different unit.

The SI system (and other systems as well) has been specially crafted to
avoid the proliferation of units. So I don't think that we can (should)
invent new units whenever it appears "convenient". It would bring us
back to times anterior to the French revolution.

Please note: I am not saying that the SI system is the definite choice
for every purpose. The nautical system of units (nautical mile, knot,
etc.) is used for navigation on sea and in the air and it works fine for
this purpose. However, within a system of units (whichever is adopted),
the number of different units should be kept reasonably small.

Cheers

Marc

--
Marc SCHILTZ      http://lcr.epfl.ch