From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jacob
Keller
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 3:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] IMAC and Low Ionic Strength

Dear Crystallographers,

Recently I incubated a small amount of His-select resin with bacterial
lysate in

(50 mM TRIS-HEPES pH 8.0, 10 mM CaCl2),

and washed the resin, for certain experimental reasons, with

(50 mM TRIS-HEPES pH 8.0, 0.2 mM CaCl2),

at which point a significant amount of my protein fell off the column. The
ratio of my protein : background proteins was much higher in these washes,
implying that my protein probably had bound, but was now falling off the
column due to the 10mM==>0.2mM CaCl2 transition. Has anyone had problems
using such low ionic strength wash buffers? Is it possibly necessary for the

his-metal-ion interaction?

Jacob

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University