lei feng wrote:
> comparing with the old version  ( I used CCP4 6.0.2 on my windows xp
> computer and finished my Ph.D projects.), I found the new version of
> coot is kind of slow in moving to the next residue of the structure by
> hitting the space. Can we adjust this to make it faster? or that is
> because of the high usage of the computer's cpu resource?  hope the
> answer is not " upgrading my current computer ( core 2 Due , OCed to 3.2
> G , 4 G memory , Nvidia 8600GT video card)

It works great on my Asus EEE, 900MHz pentium M, Intel 945 integrated
graphics, so the hardware is not the issue. Your hardware is easily
capable of handling everything Coot can throw at it without even getting
warm. Slow transitions from residue to residue suggests to me that maybe
you don't have the hardware drivers for your graphics card (or maybe
they aren't working properly)? Installing those should make all graphics
programs faster.

However, Coot should run quickly even without any 3D graphics hardware
at all; so if you can't get your hardware running properly you are still
OK, but you may indeed need to adjust some settings, the smooth scroll
steps in particular. In the latest version of Coot (0.6pre) you can do
this from the preferences window, but for 0.5.2 I think you may need to
use the scripting interface. See the following link for settings to try:
http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/~emsley/coot/doc/chapters/user-manual_8.html#SEC202
If they work, you can edit them into your Coot startup files.

Kevin