I should add that I have only seen Joel Bard's Zalman monitor briefly.
We tweaked the settings a bit to improve the representation in the
following way:

1) use nvidia-settings to override application anti-aliasing - crank it
up to 16x if you have a good graphics card

2) add to ~/.coot file (or otherwise initialise coot with):
(set-map-line-width 2)

After that, it looked quite good (I thought).

For the record, I do not think that Coot questions are off-topic on
ccp4bb. Having said that, you might like to fine-tune your audience by
posting to the Coot list (see the Coot Web page for details).

Paul.