Dear all,

Writing my dissertation at the History Department of Giessen
University (Germany), I am analyzing radio broadcasts for and on youth
in West Germany and Great Britain during the 1950s and early 1960s.

In particular, I am interested in media representations of youth in
radio broadcasts - as "youth" is a socially constructed category that
throws light on different lines within the respective public discourse
about the broad social transformation processes that took place in
West Germany and Great Britain during this period.

I have already been at the BBC WAC in Caversham and at the British
Library Sound Archive. This summer I was able to listen to several
episodes from serials like "Top of the Form", "On our Way", "Under
Twenties Review", "(Apprentice’s) Question Time", "Young People’s
Forum on Books" and some extracts from other broadcasts like an
interview with Stepney youngsters and with a Bristolian "Teddy
Boys"-Vicar at the British Library.

However, I am still searching for manuscripts or transcripts of BBC
radio shows that were concerned with juvenile life or aimed at young
listeners.

Furthermore, I am still lacking archival material on radio shows like
"Counter-Attack" (spring 1950), "Pick of the Pops", "Hit Parade" and
on broadcasts that particularly described juvenile behaviour (e.g. in
"Woman's Hour", "Matters of Moment", etc.).

I would be grateful for any hint or advice!
Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Christoph

--
Christoph Hilgert, M.A.

DFG-Graduiertenkolleg "Transnationale Medienereignisse von der Frühen Neuzeit
bis zur Gegenwart"
Otto-Behaghel-Str. 10 C1
35394 Gießen
http://www.uni-giessen.de/cms/fbz/dfgk/tme/mitglieder/hilgert-christoph