From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Pickford
Sent: 27 November 2009 09:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: facts about your archive

I'm always struck by the fact that when we want to promote archives, we end up using "non archival" items to illustrate our publicity materials or as examples. This is certainly the case with quite a lot of the material produced in recent years in which "documents" seldom feature among the illustrations. I know that written materials really don't excite visually, but it's almost as if we're ashamed - or just completely stuck! - to draw on true archive materials.

Maybe it's an unavoidable issue for our sector that our core holdings just aren't that sexy in a visually dependent age. But I do think we need to be aware that using "pretties" and "interesting artefacts" may not be that helpful in clarifying public appreciation of what archives really are. Even if these things are genuinely archival, they misrepresent the fact that the real (and tremendous) value of our collections lies in its recorded information.

Anna's parasol prompted this - but I think there is a serious point to consider about how we project the image of archives through the use of visually "incorrect" (sorry - struggling for quite the right word) illustrations.

Slightly off topic for the original request, too - Angela did ask for interesting facts or unusual items (so the parasol and leotard photo may be fine) - but I still think its worth asking if we can make better connections between our evidential / informational holdings and our public image.

Chris Pickford