Dear colleagues,

With a small team I have studied the feces of an Alaskan mammoth.
Among the macrofossils were objects that I had never seen before. See
attached ppt. In first instance I thought it was a fungal fruit-body,
but experienced mycologists do not recognize it as such.

Unidentified macrofossils
Globose to ellipsoid closed bodies (230-)330-470(-580) µm, sometimes
elongated with several lobes, measuring up to 1600 µm (total length).
Outer wall irregularly structured, yellow-brown, ca. 12 µm thick.
Broken bodies showing ca. 1µm thick inner wall (not attached to outer
wall); hyaline with granulate structure, filled up with densely packed
round spores (7-)10-11(-14) µm in diameter.

Any suggestion for identification is welcome!

Best wishes,
Bas van Geel
Dr Bas van Geel
E-mail: [log in to unmask]     Phone: +31 20 525 7664      Fax: +31 20
525 7832
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/b.vangeel/
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED)
http://www.science.uva.nl/ibed

Research Group Paleoecology and Landscape Ecology
Faculty of Science, Universiteit van Amsterdam
Visiting address: Science Park 904, 1098 XH Amsterdam
Postal address: P.O. Box 94248, 1090 GE Amsterdam, The Netherlands