Dear Archaeometallurgy Community,

I am looking for information on the products of the Saxon/Viking
Early Medieval  bloomery furnaces.  Specifically the aspects of the
blooms such as the amount of slag left in the bloom and the
heterogeneity of the alloys within the bloom. Was it possible to get
single alloy blooms (i.e. ferritic blooms, steel blooms, etc.)?  Were
the Early Medieval blooms very slaggy?

I have been lead to believe that the blooms of the period where
heterogeneous and it was the job of the bloomsmith to separate out
each of the alloys in to the single alloy bars that will be used by
the blacksmiths. I don’t agree with this, but have not been able to
find literature for or against this theory. Do any of you know of
places I can look for information on Early Medieval blooms?

Thank you,
Samantha Rubinson
PhD Archaeometallurgy
AGS