I am not a consultant, and I would love to be in a work environment where consultants actually

1.       had personal experience with it or at least

2.       ...realised its huge benefit, and ideally...

3.       ...had broad enough shoulders to stand their ground against anaesthetic resistance

So far I have only been using it on adults and iv – and I think there are indications where it’s just unbeatable:

-          80+ year old in complete heart block with HR of 30/min and hypotensive, but still intolerant of external pacing without sedation. No way I am going to give this patient Midazolam and/or an opioid and stop their breathing!

-          Insertion of trauma chest drains, provided transient sedation appears clinically safe.

-           Moving/positioning heavily traumatised patients in the scanner

-          Agitated EMI patients with #NOF – to facilitate placement of nerve-stimulator guided femoral nerve blocks. They awake peacefully as their pain will be much reduced.

I also feel that the answer to the debate ‘haematoma block vs. Bier’s block for reduction of colle’s #’ may well be ...25 mg Ketamine i.v – it just works.

It’s ironic that patients in the 3rd world often get a better deal than their 1st world counterparts for acute painful procedures – with all the medico-political issues that seem to dominate the Ketamine debate in the U.K....

In my previous workplace there were 4-5 consultant anaesthetists who used it in their own practice and were very positive about its use in the ED.

However, the director of the anaesthetic department (who, of course, has never used it in its own practice)was against it.

As the ED consultants favoured to sail a course of harmony with ‘the anaesthetic department’ (a heterogeneous group of people, as we see above)  it wasn’t implemented.

Interesting – no debate about the potentially much more dangerous M & M though...

Niels Merkel