You may be able to open mtz files in a primitive text editor such as
nano (I just did).  It's a little awkward, as there are no line breaks.
MTZ header is in the end of the file and it is plain text, so should be
easy to edit manually - just make sure you don't introduce extra space.

There are plenty of hex editors out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_hex_editors