Dear colleagues,I'm in agreement with Mohammad that we should avoid
labeling bones as much as possible, especially permanantly. Introducing
inks and lacquers to organic remains is contrary to the value of
preservation. Being of the new generation of archaeologists I've worked
with assemblages that were excavated in the somewhat distant past,
labeled permanantly, and placed in storage for a decade or four. One in
particular had been labeled with Indian ink and 20 percent of the labels
were illegible because the ink had smeared, run, were blotted out with
more ink to try to correct labeling errors, or the texture of the bone
was innappropriate for writing on. Another was a large assemblage of
delicate bird bone tools, the labels were an offense to the
ancient craftsmanship. Additionally, labeling is time consuming and that
time would be better spent working carefully and making sure not to
associate bones with the wrong catalog number (that can happen while
labeling, too). But, whether to label or not depends on the
characteristics of the collection and what questions are being asked of
it. We can't be certain of the technology or interests of future
archaeologists, but I think in the "deeper future" they'll be wondering
why we vandalized artifacts.  Ciao,Rhea

Get a free @hellokitty.com, @mymelody.com, or @kuririnmail.com email account
today at www.sanriotown.com, and enjoy 500MB of storage!
Check out our official blog @ http://blog.hellokitty.com