DAVID DANIELS' 200+HUMAN BEINGÈD HYMN TO HUMANITY

The American poet David Daniels (1933-2008) has always amazed me, not only because of his kindness and wisdom but also the ingenuity with which he crafted his shape poems with a computer program like “Word for Windows.” It is impressive to note the quality/innovation of the shapes he obtained with his texts/poems/animations using software that was not designed for that purpose. Not only that, but the ease with which he worked and played with the language is enviable. Reading and observing his poems is always a process of rediscovery, because they contain a dual semiotic system, one for writings and the other for imagery.

I followed the creation of his 200 + Humans with a sense of enchantment, thanks to the vast net that enables artists to exchange experiences in an international context. This series is fascinating, not only because of its undeniable artistic value but because of its anthropological aspect. Daniels constructed his poems by asking many different kinds of people from different countries some very simple questions. As a result, these poems reveal similarities and differences, while demonstrating what humans are like at the beginning of the 21st century. I can’t help imagining what it would be like if someone read these poems in the next century, and have fun imagining that person’s (?) response.

It is also interesting to underscore that, mixed in with the human beings mentioned in the previous paragraph, there are some familiar famous figures, such as Shakespeare, Edith Piaf, Mozart, Marx, Charles Dickens, Fernando Pessoa, Kafka, Freud and even Jesus, all of whom are eternally human and recreated through Daniels’s imagination.

As a result, it is very moving to present the “Humans” series by David Daniels, which I have produced in DVD format. This will be one more way of attempting to preserve his Poems.

To know more browser at: http://arteonline.arq.br/humans/

CONTENT:

DVD 1 – to be inserted in a computer’s DVD drive.
> The Humans series in PDF format, exactly as Daniels produced it.
> The essay Lift up Your Heads, O Ye Gates, An Appreciation of David Daniels, by British author and critic Edward Picot http://hypererx.co.uk/  ).
> The interview with David Daniels ( http://www.thegatesofparadise.com ) that Jorge Luiz Antonio   ( http://www.vispo.com/misc/BrazilianDigitalPoetry.htm ) and I conducted in 2004.

DVD 2 – to be viewed on any DVD player
> A page for all the humans in the series, with sound and movement, a festival of colors and unusual shapes.

For now the DVD boxes will be sent to new media art archives and to Daniel's family. However, If you are interested or if you are a curator of a library or university archive, send a message to [log in to unmask] and I will contact you soon.

All the best,

Regina Célia Pinto

********** * To alter your subscription settings on this list, log on to Subscriber's Corner at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/writing-and-the-digital-life.html * To unsubscribe from the list, email [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and the following text in the body of the message: SIGNOFF WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE