Hello brain imaging people,

I'm very junior in brain imaging analysis. I'm doing VBM with SPM5. After 2-sample independent t-test comparison, clusters representing the differences between 2 groups are seen everywhere - both inside and outside the brain area. Although they are not seen under very stringent threshold like FDR / FWE, they are still seen even if uncorr p<0.001. I wonder why there are such clusters outside the brain area. As when I checked on the smoothed modulated segmented grey matter images, the segmentation seems ok. What is the origins of those outside brain clusters? Or are they simply ignorable since they can't survive FDR or above threshold?

Thanks a lot for your attention!

Best wishes,

Meikei