Dear Michael,

these two p-values quantify 'surprise' about - at least partly -
distinct features of the data: the existence of high, focal activations
with 'well-defined' spatial localisation vs the existence of broad and
extensive activations. Therefore, according the form of the putative
experimentally-induced signal (focal and peaky or broad, low and
extensive), peak vs cluster level  inferences will be more
appropriate/sensitive.

Slide 6 of Tom's lecture is a good illustration:
http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/course/slides09/05_Random_Field_Theory.ppt

Best wishes,
Guillaume.

--