From: Race, Phil
Sent: Tue 18/08/2009 17:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wanted - difficult questions!

(Sorry if you've got this message more than once - I've just changed the email address I use for the SEDA list to the one above, as the address I previously used no longer worked with the list).

I'm busy writing the 2nd edition of 'Making Learning Happen', which should be out from Sage in November 2010. I'm adding a short chapter of 'frequently needed answers' to the sorts of problems which come up in teaching, learning and assessment.
These questions all start with 'What can I do when...?', and  for each problem, I'm writing half-a-dozen or so practical tactics for readers to choose from.

If you've a minute or two, I'd be grateful if you'd email me suggestions for further questions - the sort of thing where some practical responses may aid your colleagues.

Questions I've already had a go at writing responses to include:

·        What can I do when I'm feeling very nervous?

·        What can I do when I forget where I am in my lecture?

·        What can I do when I don't know the answer to a student's question?

·        What can I do when students repeatedly come in late, and disrupt my lecture?

·        What can I do when the technology lets me down?

·        What can I do when attendance drops off during a series of lectures?

·        What can I do if students are talking in my lecture?

·        What can I do if I come to the end and there are still 15 minutes to go?

·        What can I do when students don't turn up for my small-group sessions?

·        What can I do when students refuse to do a group task?

·        What can I do when one student dominates the group?

·        What can I do when I've got too much marking to do, and the deadline's tomorrow?

·        What can I do when a student challenges my mark for an assignment?

·        What can I do when my exam question turns out to be answerable in more than one way?

The list above is growing fast - within an hour this afternoon I had a dozen more from colleagues on the NTFS jiscmail list, and I expect dozens more from SEDA friends - who will often be helping staff with exactly such problems.

If you haven't had a look at my website recently, I've added quite a few bits over the summer,  including a new 'masterclass' if you would like me to come to your place and run it!

I'm now technically retired from Leeds Met, but they're letting me stay on as an unpaid Emeritus (when I'm not beavering around everywhere else as usual!).

all best wishes,

Phil

Professor Phil Race

BSc PhD PGCE FCIPD SFHEA NTF

Emeritus Professor

Leeds Metropolitan University

Normally best contact me by email as I travel around a lot

Website: www.phil-race.co.uk <http://www.phil-race.co.uk/>