I am researching RK's suppressed masterpiece  "The Burden of Jerusalem."  David Richards has been extremely helpful and has sent me an advance copy of his forthcoming bibliography to be published by the British Museum in 2010.  The poem features prominently in Christopher Hitchens' Blood, Class and Nostalgia, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1990, pp.86-8, as it had been sent by Winston Churchill to Franklin Roosevelt 17 October 1943.  He wrote, "I understand that Mrs. Kipling decided not to publish them [Including A Chapter of Proverbs] in case they should lead to controversy and it is therefore important that their existence should not become known and that there should be no public reference to this gift." Birkenhead printed two verses, but here it is whole:

THE BURDEN OF JERUSALEM

In ancient days and deserts wild

There rose a feud--still unsubdued--

Twixt Sarah's son and Hagar's child

That centred round Jerusalem

(While underneath the timeless boughs

Of Mamre's oak 'mid stranger-folk

The Patriarch slumbered and his spouse

Nor dreamed about Jerusalem.)

But Ishmael lived where he was born,

And pastured there in tents of hair

Among the Camel and the Thorn--

Beersheba, South Jerusalem

But Israel sought employ and food

At Pharoah's knees, till Rameses

Dismissed his plaguey multitude,

With curses, toward Jerusalem.

Across the wilderness they came

And launched their horde o'er Jordan's ford,

And blazed the road by sack and flame

To Jebusite Jerusalem.

Then Kings and Judges ruled the land,

And did not well by Israel,

Till Babylonia took a hand

And drove them from Jerusalem.

And Cyrus sent them back anew,

To carry on as they had done,

Till angry Titus overthrew

The fabric of Jerusalem.

Then they were scattered North and West,

While each Crusade more certain made

That Hagar's vengeful son possessed

Mohammedan Jerusalem.

Where Ishmael held his desert state

And framed a creed to serve his need--

"Allah-hu-Akbar! God is Great!"

He preached it in Jerusalem.

And every realm they wandered through

Rose, far or near, in hate and fear,

And robbed and tortured, chased and slew,

The outcasts of Jerusalem.

So ran their doom--half seer, half slave--

And ages passed, and at the last

They stood beside each tyrant's grave,

And whispered of Jerusalem.

We do not know what God attends

The Unloved Race in every place

Where they amass their dividends

From Riga to Jerusalem.

But all the course of Time makes clear

To everyone (except the Hun)

It does not pay to interfere

With Cohen from Jerusalem.

For 'neath the Rabbi's curls and fur

(Or scents and rings of movie-kings)

The aloof, unleavened blood of Ur,

Broods steadfast on Jerusalem.

Where Ishmael bides in his own place--

A robber bold, as was foretold,

To stand before his brother's face--

The wolf without Jerusalem.

And burdened Gentile o'er the main,

Must bear the weight of Israel's hate

Because he is not brought again

In triumph to Jerusalem.

Yet he who bred the unending strife,

And was not brave enough to save

The Bondsmaid from the furious wife,

He wrought thy woe, Jerusalem.

Interestingly, Hitchens quotes another [August 1942] letter from Churchill to Roosevelt:

Here in the Middle East, the Arabs might claim by majority they could expell the Jews from Palestine, or at any time forbid all further immigration.  I am strongly wedded to the Zionist policy, of which I was one of the authors.

As Dave Richards notes, the poem was " reprinted in Harboard, Verse No. 1163, as 'Jews or Jews and Arabs'."

Not only is this poem RK's suppressed and neglected masterpiece, I think it is fair to say it is a bombshell that could be printed on the front page of tomorrow's newspaper. It has never been more relavant than it is in October 2009.  RK neatly sums up the essential history in the last four millenia and tosses the hot potato in our collective laps.  Is it still too hot to handle?  Not in the quorum of The Kipling Society!

Thoughtfully yours,

Kipling Hedley

New! Faster Messenger access on the new MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677406