From: George Simmers <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 11 October, 2009 6:23:26
Subject: Jane Austen and Shell-Shock

In a letter to the Times Literary Supplement (3 February 1984), Fr Martin Jarrett-Kerr reported that during the First World War the Oxford don H.F. Brett-Smith was employed by military hospitals to advise on reading matter for the war wounded. 'His job was to grade novels and poetry according to the "Fever-Chart". For the severely shell-shocked he selected Jane Austen'.

Considering the effectiveness of Jane Austen in palliating Humberstall's psychological damage in 'The Janeites', I'm wondering whether Kipling might have known of Brett-Smith's advisory work. Any ideas?

George Simmers
-- George Simmers's research blog is at
http://greatwarfiction.wordpress.com