The Society of Archivists Annual Conference,  MANCHESTER, United Kingdom 1st -  3rd September 2010

CALL FOR PAPERS

“We are what we keep: challenging tradition in appraisal and acquisition”

The Conference Programme Sub-committee is pleased to announce a call for papers for the 2010 Conference. There will be two tracks for the conference, an Archives & Records Management track, and a Preservation & Conservation track. Following suggestions at this year’s Bristol conference, the broad theme of appraisal and acquisition has been chosen to frame our discussions in Manchester. We hope that this theme offers speakers and delegates a chance to open up debate in the core activities of appraisal and acquisition. We welcome papers on the following, linked to this overarching theme:

  • National & international perspectives on archival theory and practice
  • Challenges and opportunities of managing and collecting digital records
  • Challenges of record-keeping and managing archival institutions
  • Changing users of archives and perception by users
  • Meeting the needs of users and stake-holders
  • Archival outreach, advocacy and public awareness
  • New trends and innovations in preservation and conservation of collections in all formats and the impact of these on appraisal and acquisition
  • Appraisal and acquisition in institutions outside the public sector
  • Records and archives: evidence, accountability, justice, culture and power?
  • The inter-relationship of archives and records managemen
  •  The relevance of traditional records management approaches in electronic and post-custodial environments

Advice on proposals

The Programme Sub-committee welcomes contributions and ideas for conference sessions from both individuals and groups for single speaker or group speaker sessions in a variety of formats including traditional sessions, focused debates on specific topics, panel discussions, roundtables and practical demonstrations.

Proposals that encourage debate and comments from delegates will be particularly welcomed. The programme is able to accommodate sessions lasting 30 mins, 45 mins, or 1 hour (group speaker sessions can then be subdivided into sessions of 10, 20 mins etc). The Programme Sub-committee offers the following advice to help those wishing to submit proposals.

·        Try to connect your proposal to the theme of the conference as best you can. The theme is designed for speakers to bring topics to light that touch on contemporary issues

·        Try and be creative with your papers! How will your paper stimulate debate?

·        Please provide as full information as you can about your proposal – this helps the Committee in making choices about papers and scheduling of sessions

·        Try to be relevant and representative: consider looking at a topic from opposing viewpoints, or focus on the broader picture rather than institutionally specific ones

·        If you are considering making a group submission for a session, try to mix speakers from different backgrounds and institutions, or try to include a user or customer perspective

·        We can build in time for questions and discussion from delegates, but please bear this in mind when planning the time of your proposed session

Submitting your proposal

Submission of your proposal in electronic format is encouraged. Proposals in the format described below, and with short biographies of speaker(s) should be submitted to:

Conservation & Preservation Track:

Mark Allen

Programme Sub-committee, SoA Conference 2010

c/o The Flintshire Record Office

The Old Rectory, Hawarden
Flintshire
CH5 3NR

Archives & Records Management Track:

Justin Cavernelis-Frost

Programme Sub-committee, SoA Conference 2010

c/o The Rothschild Archive

New Court

St Swithin’s Lane

London EC4P 4DU

The deadline for submission of proposals is:  20th November 2009 Submissions will be considered by the Programme Sub-committee in December, and invitations to speak will be confirmed by the Committee in January 2010. Your proposal should include the following:

Name of proposer or speaker

(or lead contact for group proposals)

Institution (if applicable)

Contact details

      Address

      Telephone

      Email

      Fax

Submission title

(or working title)

Brief statement of link to main theme

Session description

(brief description, max 250 words)

Session type (e.g. traditional, panel discussion)

Length of proposed session

Special equipment needed

(AV equipment etc)

Any other information

For further information, or if your have any further questions, please contact Justin Cavernelis-Frost or Mark Allen. We look forward to seeing you in Manchester next year as a speaker or as a delegate!

Justin Cavernelis-Frost

Chair, Conference Organising Committee

For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]