On 5 Oct 2009, at 02:41, geisha rebolledo wrote:

Thanks Jack for such an inmense reference to living theories (LTH)and teaching influences. Ihave a question concernning content in teaching withing this paradigm . A coleage is trying to follow LTH within the context of health  and AIDS  prevention. He has information from many workshops with adolescents and with training College students.

He points at misconceptions and diferent  knowledge problems he found  with the students  after teaching, according to him the wright way. Also he mentioned  how its is only now after studing this paradigm that he understand his teaching and that he sees his pitfalls . Then he can make his own recomendatios for improving.  Would you consider that it could be accepted under  living theory ?

Hi Geisha - For me, what distinguishes a living educational theory from other forms of theory is that it is an individual's explanation of his or her educational influence in their own learning, in the learning of others and in the learning of the social formations in which the individual is living and working. I've found an action research approach the most appropriate for generating living theories in enquiries of the kind, 'How do I improve what I am doing?' It sounds to me that your colleague is using action reflection cycles as he works to improve his practice. To generate and to help to strengthen the validity of his living educational theory he could offer an evidence-based explanation of his educational influence to a forum such as this.

I've been very impressed with the work of Lesley Wood and colleagues at Nelson Mandela University in South Africa in using a living a theory approach in the context of health and AIDS prevention.  You might recommend to your colleague that he reads the following accounts:

Wood, L. (Ed.( 2008) Dealing with HIV and AIDS in the classroom. Cape Town; Juta & Company Ltd.

Wood, L. A., Morar, R. & Mostert, L. (2007) From rhetoric to reality: the role of Living Theory Action Research. Education as Change, Volume 11, No.2. pp. 67-80.

Love Jack.