From: "Dominic Fox" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:46 AM
Subject: Starting something

YE ARE MANY hailed from overseas
by megaphone, the poet rising from his couch.
But were they ever, your people, leonine?
Diasporic on their home turf, even,
like ex-pats in training; swept out
from slum-clearance, unregenerate
mall denizens. Picture them biro’d in
with small defiance, misdirected pride
answering for squandered strength.
Say we have greatness in us; show it
where it is. That it is greatly
to be feared is shown elsewhere, in mirror-
visor, reinforced perspex riot-shield;
the sabre swung from horseback, cleaving the ruck.

* * *

Returning to the poem that made me want to write poetry: Shelley’s The
Masque of Anarchy. More to come, I hope.

Dominic