HA!  You and Angel and Brian can't be fooled, clever devils all.  You caught
me with a true snap writ in quick-glib for a laugh and suffering from gross
haste.  After I'd sent it in, a 'dear friend' noticed that Jurgen's mantra
and his wife Frances' remark to her lover were different and wondered why.
 I hadn't noticed the difference [so much for patience and proofreading],
then realised I must've subconsciously refused Frances' saying the heartless
"If it ain't dead, don't replace it"---tho 'twas my initial intent, as Brian
thought, to have her make that sarcastic remark.
What amazes and fascinates me is how such slightly-developed characters
became  emotional connections to me and to you guys.  My guess's the Jurgen
tendency carries a lot of emotional freight for us.

Right now I can't imagine a rewrite that'd be witty yet not damning [of
Frances].  A well crafted short story might manage it ... I dunno.  Wit and
sympathetically-drawn characters aren't mutually exclusive, to be sure, but
...  What think you all?

[note to Brian:  2 October was just specificity, like other details, to make
characters 'alive' and present]

Best,

Judy