Matti and Yury,
Thanks again for the input.  I believe the 'dummy' MF pass is the way to go.  I cannot open/browse the raw file in ENM or MNE without some pass through MF because we use active shielding (smartshield) for all acquisitions.  Our room is only a 1-layer and our environment is quite noisy.  On a related note, is there any data (or opinions) on the degree to which bad channels affects MF performance (normal or tsss)?  I presume that including only one or two clearly bad channels would affect the accuracy of the MF results at least moderately, but maybe not.

Tony