I have been confused about whether Maxfilter 2.1 is excluding bad channels prior to computing the tsss correction.  I understand from watching the program and reading the manual (Oct 2008 revision) that tsss switches off the automated bad channel detection, but does detect and exclude saturated channels and static bad channels from the computation.  To me, it seems there could be additional channels one would want to exclude.  For example, sensors that were noisy in a particular run, or on that day, but were not excluded during acquisition (due to an oversight or whatever).  To ensure such channels are excluded, I'm guessing one needs to run mark_bad_fiff on each raw file prior to tsss.  Is my understanding correct?  Is anyone else doing this (ie., mark_bad_fiff, then tsss)?

All the best,
Tony

Tony W. Wilson, Ph.D
Assistant Professor & MEG Scientist