From: Health of minority ethnic communities in the UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ingleby, J.D. (David)
Sent: 28 October 2009 19:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Black/black

Dear Jane,

The term "Black and minority ethnic" does indeed cause raised eyebrows in what you refer to as Europe (by which I suppose you mean continental Europe; last time I looked, the UK was geographically and politically part of Europe!)  I understand the historical reasons why the term "BME" was invented, but all the same I hope it will be phased out one day. Apart from suggesting a contrast between Black and other minority ethnic groups, it is a quite inadequate term to use for asylum seekers, who are not an ethnic group (unless Home-Office-Land is a country of origin) and often have no chance to belong to an ethnic group in the UK. The same applies to undocumented migrants, who constitute approximately 10% of all migrants. In fact, I think the popularity of the term "BME" has a lot to do with the neglect of the rights of asylum seekers and undocumented migrants in the UK - though which is cause and which is effect, I'm not sure.

It's true that we "Europeans" on the other side of the Channel do tend to talk a lot about "migrants", but that reflects a deliberate choice for a different theoretical perspective. I don't understand how you can call it "just plain wrong". Referring to "second generation  migrants" is a contradiction in terms, I admit; but ignoring the difference between members of an ethnic group who were born overseas and those who were born in the host country - which is what you do if you only look at "ethnicity" - is not very helpful either. Can't we just agree to study "migrants and ethnic  minorities"?

As for what constitutes an "minority ethnic group", I'd like to challenge the apparent assumption of many UK researchers that whenever you have a group of people coming from a certain country, you have an "ethnic community". Very often, "community" is just a feel-good term that doesn't correspond to anything real. The only way to find out whether people coming from a particular country form a community - i.e. identify with that country, maintain contact with each other, and so on - is to get out there and ask them. My hunch is that many of them don't. Especially when the country in question is a big one, regions, cities, religions or tribes may be far more important.

For example: in the Netherlands, Moroccans are treated as an ethnic group (and how!)  However, if you ask them, you learn that many never thought of themselves as "Moroccans" when they arrived. In particular, Berber- and Arabic-speaking Moroccans felt they had little in common with each other. However, when the Dutch media and intellectuals started to tar them all with the same brush, they suddenly did - and so an ethnic group was born.....

Glad to see these issues aired at last!

Best wishes,

David

Utrecht,