From: Lorraine Culley
Sent: 26 October 2009 17:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Black - capital B or not

Well, depends what you are referring to. My understanding has always been that Black refers to Black as a census category - those who assign themselves to one of the Black categories. 'black' to me refers to the political idea of 'blackness' as a political category - stressing the commonality of oppression etc.  The latter use does raise problems though, when not everyone is using it in the same way - and some confuse it with Black and insist they are not Black - e.g. many of South Asian origin.  I therefore use the term in its technical census form when this is the accurate use, and tend not to use it that much otherwise, for all the reasons above.  Its part of that equally problematic 'Black and Minority Ethnic' - which I must say I really think only adds to the confusion and is rarely helpful in analytical terms.

Lorraine

Lorraine Culley

Professor of Social Science and Health

Associate Director Mary Seacole Research Centre

Hawthorn Building

De Montfort University

Leicester LE1 9BH

Tel. 0116 257 7753

Fax: 0116 257 7778

Knowledgeshare Editor: Diversity in Health and Social Care (Radcliffe)

New Books

Culley, L & Dyson, S. Ethnicity and Healthcare Practice (2009). Quay Books.

http://www.quaybooks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=325&osCsid=hdmfdhk9urdstknc0ob4llks34

Culley, L, Hudson, N & van Rooij, F. eds (2009) Marginalized Reproduction: Ethnicity, Infertility and Reproductive Technologies. Earthscan Books London. ISBN 978-84407-576-8http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marginalized-Reproduction-Infertility-Reproductive-Technologies/dp/1844075761/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245923107&sr=1-2